It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:37 am

Welcome home, Maria! ♥ [Maskcat Doll and Dollstown Unboxing]

New arrivals & box opening photos go here!
  • Author

okonomide

Welcome home, Maria! ♥ [Maskcat Doll and Dollstown Unboxing]

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:44 pm

So...my first BJD is finally complete and I can finally share her unboxing photos with everyone~ :frolic:
I realized I could have just made two different posts since she's a hybrid but I decided to wait for her body to arrive as well so I can just make one cohesive post. :whistle:

Maria is comprised of a Maskcat Doll head and a Dollstown elf body. She was a WIP that spanned half a year (beginning from the preparations--buying the basic necessities, clothes, and eyes, to actually purchasing and painting the doll). I took my time making sure that the resin [mis]match will be minimal and that the proportions will look good, pouring over tons of photos and comparison posts of both companies' sculpts to do so.

I made the purchase for the head in early December and the body shortly before Christmas. The head arrived pretty quickly, and while the body got shipped as soon as the holidays were over, took a while to arrive because of my choice of shipping.

So... on to the unboxing photos! (WARNINGS: might be NSFW. Also image-heavy)

Noisy, newspaper-quality photos ahead!

-----

Maskcat Doll!

Pardon for the crap quality photos. I was so excited, I opened the package inside my boyfriend's car (which was parked in a basement-type parking lot), shortly after he handed it to me.

My eyes widened when I saw the pretty Maskcat Doll box

Such a gorgeous box ♥

First thing I saw is the red envelope containing her CoA

The envelope was so snug that I had a hard time taking out the CoA. I had half a mind to just tear the envelope open, until my boyfriend offered to wrestle it out for me (bless him). Meanwhile, I proceeded to unwrap the rest.

First view of Maria's head. No words to describe how pretty she is in person ♥

Aaand here she is with her CoA. :)

-------

Dollstown!

My boss handed me the box during last week's sculpt day (we only have once-a-week meetings). Got super giddy when I saw An Jong-hak's name on it. It took a lot of energy to just focus on work and not be distracted by the prospect of opening the parcel right there and then. My bosses and workmates kept on teasing me about it (a lot of them are toy enthusiasts, too, so they understood how excited one could get).

Four hours after I got the box, I'm finally home and ready to open it!

Opening it with my trusty old swiss card knife (I just realised how dumb this was in retrospect. Good thing it was blunt and tiny

Hnnnghhh

First thing I saw are her bubble-wrapped hands poking out of the sea of packing peanuts

Dollstown is incredibly liberal with their bubble wrap. Seriously, everything is wrapped in bubblewrap. There's even a layer of it underneath all the packing peanuts. I kinda wish they had cloth cushions instead, though. I could reuse those more in the long run.

Unwrapped the body and placed the head next to it for resin comparison. It's not obvious in the photo, but it's actually pretty huge IRL. It's quite surprising coz the elf body always looks so petite, even for an SD. No banana for scale, sadly. :(

Little ziplock bag containing the CoA, some Velcro tape, and eye putty (wrapped in bubble wrap lol)

The card is quite pretty.

Resin Comparison under fluorescent light

Another shot of her under natural light. The head is only a shade darker than the body. This was shortly before I started prepping her for her face up. I was so relieved to learn that she doesn't need a neck donut for her head to fit, though the neck still is pretty skinny, proportion-wise.

Testing out her poseability. She's a bit springy but really easy to pose. I love how natural the elf body looks (despite not being completely anatomically accurate).

-----

Anyway, thank you for looking. I'm really looking forward to dressing her up in better clothes. The elf body is a weird size, somewhere in between MSD and SD, which means dressing her up in premade clothes is gonna be a challenge. Shoes are rather hard to find, too. But looking for the perfect things for her is gonna be fun.

Bonus photos!

Doing her face up

And a mini-shoot of her the next day at my BF's house. I still need to work on blushing the rest of her body, since her unnatural whiteness is giving her 'glove hands' in photos.
Currently home: Maria (MaskcatDoll Lisette + Dollstown Elf hybrid) ¦ Onihime(BeYours P.G.)

_mourningmoon (doll IG)
skeletalhorses (personal IG)

mitchi06

Re: Welcome home, Maria! ♥ [Maskcat Doll and Dollstown Unbox

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 10:40 am

Hello there.. your doll is lovely!! i like her style. Good thing it arrives faster. :ok: :nosebleed:

toifshi

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 pm

waaaa i love these doll opening stories
shes so lovely and has such nice style <3

ten-shi

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 am

Oh my goodness, are her knees double-jointed? :O She's so pretty! And the face up you made is so perfect :googly: Congratulations! :love:

okonomide

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 2:50 am

@mitchi06: thank you so much! :)

@toifshi: thank you! I'm glad someone enjoyed my ramblings on this post haha :))

@ten-shi: thank you so much! And yes, she is double-jointed. :)
Currently home: Maria (MaskcatDoll Lisette + Dollstown Elf hybrid) ¦ Onihime(BeYours P.G.)

_mourningmoon (doll IG)

mitchi06

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 8:05 am

Welcome dear!! I love box openings... they make me excited as well..your doll came early... :googly:

chinitokoko

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 am

Maria is so pretty :)
Congratulations to you for getting a new kid and congratulations to her for having found such a loving home :)

okonomide

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:17 am

chinitokoko wrote:Maria is so pretty :)
Congratulations to you for getting a new kid and congratulations to her for having found such a loving home :)

Thank you so much! Her sisters won't be home for a while so she'll be spoiled a lot. :ok:

_mourningmoon (doll IG)

Chellbe

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 6:42 pm

:nosebleed: :googly: she is so pretty

Return to Arrivals