It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 pm

A Newbie's Guide to BJD; Choosing, Buying & Shipping!

What's happening at ManikaManila?
  • Author

Alek

Tiangge Seller

Tiangge Seller

Re: A Newbie's Guide to BJD; Choosing, Buying & Shipping!

PostFri Aug 07, 2015 10:27 pm

dncx wrote:Hi :hi: where does an 80cm doll category fall under? is it 1/2? it's too far for the size of 1/3 but a tiny bit smaller than 1/2. I'm confused :what:

As I mentioned, those are only the common sizes and there are many dolls that are 'in between' sizes. 80cms cannot be categorized into either because they're so significantly different when it comes to measurement.

There's no point grouping them because it has no practical purpose to compare them to even 70cms.

HOWEVER, at 80cm, there is still a slight possibility to hybridized heads meant for 80cm dolls on 70cm bodies (though more likely, they will be bobble headed).

So yeah, there really is no category for them.
deviantart flickr tumblr

SailorBunny23

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am

very useful info, ive always been scared of buying directly from companies. good thing im not manila based.
Shia - MiroDoll Wind • Selene - Volks Coco
Marco - Kanadoll Adrian • Eiffel - Kanadoll Senior Bambi
Holee - Volks Tae • Chibi Holee - Volks Yo-Tenshi Yayoi

zheavielle

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 5:11 am

Hi, your post is very useful, as I am new to this kind of hobby (still planning to buy)... uhmm..is there any shop here in the Phil that can order Bjds? thanks.. and sorry for being naive... :cry:

Alek

Tiangge Seller

Tiangge Seller

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 10:32 am

zheavielle wrote:Hi, your post is very useful, as I am new to this kind of hobby (still planning to buy)... uhmm..is there any shop here in the Phil that can order Bjds? thanks.. and sorry for being naive... :cry:

Only recently, @Dark Zephyr has opened http://www.thejointfactoryinc.com. I think they're the ones you should talk to, though I dunno if anyone's used their services yet so I can't really say more. >3>
deviantart flickr tumblr

SyntaxErawr

PostSat Aug 22, 2015 9:04 am

vanillamorning wrote:How about in provincial areas? Does anyone have experience in receiving their dolls in provinces? I'm scared I'll have to go over to the customs office to claim my package...

I'm not sure about dolls, but I've gotten around claiming scale figures and shoes, sometimes in bulk, in a handful of remote PHLPost (EMS) offices before and yes, I've never had to pay for tax. All I pay for is the P100 "storage fee." Haha! The trick is to be patient! Your item will usually take a while in the Pasay main office, but after a week or two, they'll end up dispatching it to your provincial office anyway. :)
✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪

SyntaxErawr on Instagram! :D
| Yoki (SmartDoll Mirai) | Kiyiya (DD Hatsune Miku) | Kagali (DD DDH-06) |

✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪ ☆ ☆ ☆ ✪

Augustus30

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 2:07 am

:ok: Well explained! I learned a lot infos.

juvicii

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Thank you so much!
this is so informative!

Valentine

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks for the guide :ok: lots of useful info here for those who are just starting to get into the hobby (like me).

I have a tip of my own, though it might have been mentioned somewhere else. For small items that come from the US, you guys may want to give Johnny Air Cargo a look see. I'm still a BJD newbie but I've been using them to deliver games for about 4 years now, I think? When the item gets to their office, it usually only takes about 4 days to be shipped here + 3 days in transit. So in a week, you can claim your goodies at either Megamall or Makati. I have it delivered to the former, but from what I know, there are other branches aside form those two. Even provincial ones.

Anyway, they're pretty transparent about their fees, so no worrying about the Pasay grannies. They charge according to weight or dimensions, whichever is the highest so they may not be your best bet for the BJDs themselves but are a consideration for expensive clothes that are packed small.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, hehe. So it's best to direct questions to them/refer to their website but hopefully this helps someone sometime. :frolic:

FreyjaH4

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks for this post. I've been reading lots for I want to start, and buy my own bjd. I wonder if there are places where we can buy second-hand? Sorry if I posted this on the wrong topic/thread. I'm also new even in joining forums. I'm happy that I found a forum for bjd in the Philippines.

Valentine

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 pm

FreyjaH4 wrote:Thanks for this post. I've been reading lots for I want to start, and buy my own bjd. I wonder if there are places where we can buy second-hand? Sorry if I posted this on the wrong topic/thread. I'm also new even in joining forums. I'm happy that I found a forum for bjd in the Philippines.

Hi there! :hi: I'm also new here but since I've reached 20 posts already, I have access to the forum marketplace. There are some members here selling secondhand, or even unpainted BJDs. You may want to go give that a look, just talk/get to know us and enjoy the forum until you get the target post count. :)

I've seen some on the local online buy and sell sites too but I'm not sure if they're legit or not. To be safe, it's better to research and maybe ask for the doll's certificate of authenticity/birth card if you want to be sure. At least I think so, especially for first-timers like us.
PreviousNext

Return to Community News & Announcements